December 7th - Keep Doing What You Do



On this day in 1994, Howard Stern talked a caller off the ledge. Not being figurative here. He actually talked down a man who was planning to jump off the George Washington Bridge. Not sure that Howard Stern would be my first choice to talk me off a ledge. A. He's kind of mean. And 2. I think talking to him would just depress me more. We’re talking about a guy who sits around asking beautiful people to tell dirty stories or gets beautiful people to do dirty things. Or dirty people to do dirty things. Or some combination of the two. Now while you may have some issues with his “indecency,” that’s not a bad way to make a living in my book. As long as you don't mind dirt or beauty or some combination of the two. I’m under no illusions that Howard just lucked into this gig. I’ve seen Private Parts. I get that he worked hard. But if I’m standing on damn bridge, thinking about jumping, I’m not sure I want a guy whose life seems so utterly enjoyable (perhaps a bit edgy, but still) telling me that life can be rough. But hey. Howard got through to the guy. And while getting an actress to run through her list of ex-lover and compare performance might be a serious talent, saving a life is pretty darn cool too. So here’s to you Howard Stern. Keep doing what you do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye