MARCH 11th - I Have Trust Issues Because of Joey Greco



On this day in 1989, COPS first aired on Fox. There had been a handful of reality-based TV shows before this, but COPS kind of kicked the doors down, and then tackled the guys trying to jump out of the window. It was an extremely successful show, had one of the greatest theme songs ever, and was often quite entertaining, if not predictable. The criminals always run. The cops chase. But it did open a Pandora’s Box. I like to pretend that it wasn’t directly responsible for some of the crap that passes as TV nowadays. The Kardashians, Real Housewives of Wherever, The Bachelor. Bunch of “real” people being fake. I do actually think that some other shows were more directly responsible for this particular type of reality show. Survivor. The Real Word. But COPS got networks to realize they could have a hit show without having to employ writers--though now many of the reality shows now have writers anyway. At least it was all real though. Real COPS, real criminals. I can respect that. But I gave up on Reality TV when I find out the Joey Greco stabbing on Cheaters was staged. That was like finding out the Tooth Fairy gave some kids more money than other kids. Favorite-playing jerk. I think I have trust issues because of Joey Greco. Cheaters? How about Fakers, Joey? Not that I want anyone to get stabbed, but let's be honest, you kind of wanted to stab Joey Greco. There are too many actual good shows on TV (The Americans, Justified, Game of Thrones, Hindsight, Suits, The Walking Dead, Vikings--to name a few) to waste time on some version of reality that doesn’t exist anywhere except on that show. If I want to see real people do stupid things I’ll go down to the French Quarter and follow around the guys who bet people “they know where you got dem shoes?”

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye