NOVEMBER 15th - Zebulon's Zenith



On this day in 1806, Lt. Zebulon Pike first spotted a mountain peak on his expedition into Colorado. This peak, of course, became known as Pike’s Peak. And I’m all for naming things after people, and as far as having something named after you, a peak has got to be up there. I’m also a giant fan of alliteration, so bravo for Pike’s Peak. But it does feel a tad bit lazy to me. I mean the guy’s name was Zebulon. Zebulon. How cool of a name is that? How do you not use that? I get that surnames may be more important, but still. Zebulon! Sounds like the name of an alien overload. Yes the alliteration of Pike’s Peak is great. But come on--Zebulon’s Zenith? Am I right? I guess it’s a moot point, and the important thing is that Zebulon’s efforts were memorialized in a just manner. I still think they (the mountain namers) missed an opportunity though. And if there is one thing you don’t want to miss, it’s an opportunity. So next time one comes your way, whether it’s talking to your crush or having the courage to think outside the box and name something as cool as Zebulon’s Zenith, you take it my friend. You take it as if you were hiking right to the to top of Pike’s Peak. I mean Zebulon’s Zenith.    

This Day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye