MARCH 14th - From Higgs Boson to Ray Charles



On this day in 2013, during the Moriond Conference in Geneva, scientists from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, released findings further supporting that the particle they discovered in July of 2012 was a Higgs boson. (Holy mouthful). In 2014 this position was confirmed--the particle was indeed a Higgs boson, also known as the God particle. This is all according to the standard model of particle physics which surmises that complicated mathematical theories that guide the relationships and interactions of the particles that make up the universe. Basically it explains stuff through math. Which is why I understand very little of it. I find it incredibly interesting, but the science of it goes over my head. I read up on all that stuff. Higgs boson. Schrödinger's cat. Multiverse theory. It’s all rather interesting to me, but much of the science of it is lost on me. I like the theoretics of it. What are the rules that guide the universe? Is everything guided by very specific mathematical relationships? Or is everything totally random? Intriguing stuff. The guts of it though? When it comes to that I’m kind of like Ray Charles as depicted in the movie Ray. I can appreciate the beauty, but I can’t see the whole picture. I just feel the wrist and listen to the voice. And that, my friends, demonstrates the relationship between science and art. Though I’m not sure of the math behind it.



This Day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye