MAY 1st - I am Batman. Batman is Cool. I am Cool.



On this day in 1939, the first Batman comic appeared. I am Batman. It was actually a Detective Comics featuring The Batman, but it was the public’s 1st introduction to The Dark Knight. I’m actually more of a Superman fan myself, but there is no denying that Batman is a cool superhero. He certainly wins the battle of the alter-ego. I’ll take billionaire playboy for 2,000, Alex. The Batmobile is pretty legit too. I don’t really care which iteration, mainly I would just like my car to be able to come find me if I said “Drive.” Not that I lose my car a lot. But it would be a fairly useful little knickknack to have. Could be used for some great practical jokes. Granted Superman could just fly everywhere, but this day isn’t about Big Blue. It’s about the dawning of the realistic superhero. Batman doesn’t have any special powers, besides an obscene amount of money and some fairly heavy abandonment issues coupled with some psychological trauma. He does have all those gadgets. Batman is cool. And that’s really what life is all about. Being cool. I mean some people might say it’s about finding a purpose--pursuing enlightenment or curing cancer--but what do either one of those things mean if you’re a dork. Then again dorks are becoming cool. An obscene amount of money will do that for you. And dorks are pretty good at making an obscene amount of money. They also like comics. Batman is in comics. So if Batman is cool, but is a character in a genre that dorks adore, and dorks are becoming cool because they are like changing the world and making a lot of money doing so, and Batman has a lot of money...then well, being that in the real world “being cool” matters very little (I was being facetious before), I guess we’ve established that what is really important is having an obscene or amount of money. Of course if you can be Batman, you should do that. Beside the whole having to watch your parents murdered and stuff. I am cool.

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye