APRIL 29th - Publishing the Thesaurus (Lexicon, Wordbook, Reference Book)



On this day in 1852, the first edition of Roget’s Thesaurus was published nearly 50 years after Peter Mark Roget originally penned the manuscript. That’s quite a long time to wait for a book to be published, but I’m willing to bet that he was jubilant (exultant, exuberant, elated) at seeing his hard work finally come to fruition (materialization, completion, fulfillment). I don’t know too much about Roget’s life, but there have been a few books written about him--apparently he had a proclivity (inclination, penchant, predilection) for lists. But being that I didn’t feel it quite necessary (essential, paramount, crucial) to know every intricate (complex, complicated, elaborate) detail of Mr. Roget in order to inform of his achievement (accomplishment, creation, feat) on this day, I did not read them. That is not to say the I don’t utterly admire (applaud, extol, appreciate) Roget and appreciate (admire, acknowledge, enjoy) his work. Because I certainly do. I am merely (only, purely, simply) saying that I found a different way to celebrate (laud, praise, revere) his legacy (heritage, tradition, work) from giving you a bunch of biographical information (data, knowledge, material). Hopefully I was successful (triumphant, victorious, fortuitous) in reaching this endeavor (undertaking, venture, enterprise). But as I’m sure Peter Mark Roget learned, it is okay if I fell a bit short. The important thing is to keep trying (attempting, cracking, jabbing).

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye