APRIL 14th -- Another Reason to be Grateful for the Interwebs



On this day in 1902, James Cash Penney, Jr. opened a dry goods store in Kemmerer, WY. with two partners, in the precursor to what would eventually become J.C. Penney’s department stores. I am by no means a proponent of shopping. In fact, if I am at the mall for over an hour I start playing the plot to Ferris Bueller's Day Off in my head in an effort to escape the misery. Because that is a great escapist movie. Dude led all of Chicago in “Twist and Shout.” I don’t blame J.C. for my malady. Man was just doing his thing. And it’s not like I have any ill-will toward J.C. Penney’s specifically. It’s nice enough as far as department stores go. I don’t like places that are too nice anyway. Kind of like people. When people are too nice, I don’t trust them. I feel they got some secret ulterior motive. I'm not saying they are set on world domination, but if someone is smiling for over 90% of the time in which you deal with him/her, they are hiding something. It might be something as small and insignificant as feeling guilty about cheating on an exam in the 8th grade, or he/she might be having an affair with your best friend. Or maybe they are just really happy, and I’m a cynical bastard. Either way, if a store is at least a little worn, I don’t feel like I’m in a museum. True, I would rather been in a museum than in a department store, but I don’t learn anything in a department store. Other than what size jeans I need or whether steel-blue is flattering color for me. It is. Basically, the moral here is--while I admire a self-made man like J.C. Penney, department stores just give me yet another reason to be grateful that Al Gore created the interwebs.

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye