NOVEMBER 12th - Jumping Out of a Balloon into Tom's Run



On this day in 1910 the first movie stunt was performed when a man jumped out of a burning hot-air balloon (like out-of-control burning not functioning, sightseeing burning) into the Hudson River. The film and the name of the stuntman have been taken captive by the greedy hands of time, but there is visual evidence of the stunt on a Topps Bubblegum card of all things. Assuming this was indeed the first stunt shown on film, it’s a pretty solid first note. Of course, once the balloon is set on fire, the jumping into the river actually seems like the safest option. I mean if the guy had somehow set up a water system to fight the fire with the water from the Hudson River that would have been more impressive. Jumping was probably definitely the safer choice. This advent of danger in the film industry of course had a domino effect. Who doesn’t want to watch a man skydiving or hanging on the hood of car in a high-speed chase? But there is a darker side of celluloid history that can be traced back to this cold day in 1910. I believe this very day is responsible for the obscene amount of running that Tom Cruise has done over his movie career. Because he likes to do his own stunts and his best stunt is running. I’m not bagging on the guy. I think he’s quite a good actor--perhaps a bit strange as a person, but still not bagging. Jump on that sofa. Believe in alien religion. It’s just that every movie (All but eight apparently) he’s in a full-on sprint at some point. I mean I get it in action movies, but was it really necessary to sprint in Jerry Maguire? I’ve never actually seen Born on the Fourth of July, but I’m pretty sure he runs in that movie after his legs get blown off (he definitely does it before). Eyes Wide Shut? Why are you running in a sexual-noir thriller? Look, naked people...and Tom’s running again. I mean if I want to see somebody run, I’ll go to a track meet. Or I’ll watch Billy Crudup in Without Limits. Prefontaine was a damn runner. You’re an actor, Tom. Relax. Take a slow saunter once in a while. Tarantino style. Slow-mo that walk, my friend. But if you’re in a burning hot air balloon, Tom, feel free to run and jump out that bad boy. Just make sure the Topps photographer gets the shot. Or you’ll have to run all over again. Nobody wants that. Except for you.

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye