SEPTEMBER 25th - All In How You Spin



On this day in 1513, Vasco Nunez de Balboa became the 1st European to discover the Pacific Ocean. It was an epic journey filled with hardships, battle, and death. But it ultimately ended with Balboa standing atop the mountain range of the Chucunaque River gazing upon the deep blue water of the unknown ocean. I can’t speak as to what Balboa was feeling as he stood up there, but I’d have to imagine he felt some deep satisfaction. I discovered the Pacific Ocean close to 400 years later in the summer of 2005. And while the hardships I encountered were probably less severe than Balboa’s journey, there was one night in L.A. spent on an epic hunt for a fictional Denny’s that served beer after 2am, I felt quite satisfied when I dove into that cold-ass water. And while I may not have been the first person to set eyes on the Pacific, while on my journey, I did take a picture of my friends with Suge Knight and sat in the front row of The Jay Leno Show sharing a moment with Heather Locklear--she might not remember me, but I’m pretty sure my soulful eyes were the reason things with south with Richie Sambora. So I feel pretty good comparing highlights with Vasco. In any case, Balboa (weird typing that name without meaning the fictional character who ended The Cold War) wasn’t the 1st person to see the Pacific either, just the 1st European. Just saying, Thomas Jefferson would not have been impressed. “Oh you found an ocean? Pretty sure people knew it was there, Vasco. At least you claimed it with your flag. Europeans. Hmm.” Of course TJ once saw a fire-juggler toss-up 18 flaming stakes while riding a unicycle with a toddler on his shoulders. TJ called him a child-endangerer and had him shut down. No nonsense, that TJ. In any case, I’m not discounting Vasco’s discovery. I’m sure it was quite important for the development of the New World. I’m merely pointing out that most things have already been done. From Madonna to Britney to Miley--been done, done again, and done one more time. Been that way forever. Well not forever. That would be impossible. Whatever. Point is, it's all in how you spin it.

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye