MAY 28 - Space Monkeys




On this day in 1959, two monkeys, Able and Baker, went 300 miles into space and were then successfully retrieved, becoming the first animals to accomplish the feat. But were they able to articulate their journey to their primate buddies when they got back to earth? Would the other monkeys believe them. Or even care?

"Hey guys, Able and I went into space on the Jupiter missile!"

"Whatever, Baker, give me a dang banana so I can throw my crap at the humans who come make dumb-ass faces at me."

But I care, Baker. I find the feat quite impressive. Also rather depressing. Almost sixty years ago, two monkeys went into space. I mean you probably won't do anything that cool in your entire life here in 2014. But hey, shoot for the stars. It's all in how you look at things, right? Monkeys went into space, means you could do some really cool stuff. You could be the Prime Minister of Malaysia, or figure out how to make the Magic School Bus a reality.

Whatever you do, quit making dumb-ass faces at monkeys though. They may have been up to space.

This day has been Marked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AUGUST 22nd - Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

AUGUST 23rd - History of the One-Way

OCTOBER 23rd - A Blink of the Cosmic Eye